STR: Middle East and Africa hotel performance for January 2020
Key January Takeaways:
- Jeddah occupancy helped by mid-year school break
- Dar es Salaam sees lowest occupancy level on record
STR’s world-leading hotel performance sample comprises 68,000 hotels and 9.1 million rooms around the globe. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for additional market data.
LONDON—Hotels in the Middle East reported mixed January 2020 performance results, while hotels in Africa posted positive results across the three key performance metrics, according to data from STR.
U.S. dollar constant currency, January 2020 vs. January 2019
- Occupancy: +8.1% to 73.3%
- Average daily rate (ADR): -2.6% to US$148.57
- Revenue per available room (RevPAR): +5.3% to US$108.90
- Occupancy: +2.4% to 54.7%
- Average daily rate (ADR): +3.2% to US$119.59
- Revenue per available room (RevPAR): +5.7% to US$65.41
Local currency, January 2020 vs. January 2019
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
- Occupancy: +31.8% to 63.5%
- Average daily rate (ADR): -9.4% to SAR600.15
- Revenue per available room (RevPAR): +19.4% to SAR381.38
The absolute occupancy level was the highest for a January in Jeddah since 2016, while the ADR level was the lowest for a January since 2008. STR analysts attribute the year-over-year spike in occupancy to the midyear school break (2-18 January), which was celebrated in December during the last academic year.
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- Occupancy: -16.4% to 33.5%
- Average daily rate (ADR): -1.9% to TZS246,861.40
- Revenue per available room (RevPAR): -18.1% to TZS82,661.18
The absolute occupancy level was the lowest for any month in STR’s Dar Es Salaam database. STR analysts note the role of supply growth (+9.7%) in the low occupancy in addition to a drop in demand (-8.3%).
STR provides premium data benchmarking, analytics and marketplace insights for global hospitality sectors. Founded in 1985, STR maintains a presence in 15 countries with a corporate North American headquarters in Hendersonville, Tennessee, an international headquarters in London, and an Asia Pacific headquarters in Singapore. STR was acquired in October 2019 by CoStar Group, Inc. (NASDAQ: CSGP), the leading provider of commercial real estate information, analytics and online marketplaces. For more information, please visit str.com and costargroup.com.
International Media Contact
Rebeca Vélez Mínguez
+44 (0)203 890 0056 ext. 0056
General Media Inbox