Certification in Hotel Industry Analytics (CHIA)
The Certification in Hotel Industry Analytics is the leading certification in hotel business analytics. Recognition provides evidence of a thorough knowledge of the foundational metrics, definitions, formulas and methodologies that are used by the hotel industry. Having the designation demonstrates an ability to analyze various types of hotel industry data and make strategic inferences based upon that analysis. Certification also confirms a comprehensive understanding of benchmarking and performance reports that are used by the lodging industry. The CHIA certification has been received by over 20,000 students, professors and industry professionals. It has been recognized by the American Hotel & Lodging Association, the Hospitality Financial & Technology Professionals Association, the Institute of Hospitality, the International Council of Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Education, and the Pacific Asia Travel Association.
The CHIA certification program includes four modules:
- Hotel Industry Analytical Foundations – Players in the hotel industry, Geographical and Non-Geographical Categorizations, Benchmarking and Competitive Sets
- Hotel Math Fundamentals, the metrics used by the hotel industry – Property Data, Competitive Set Data, Industry Data and International Issues
- Property Level Benchmarking with STAR Reports – Introduction to the STAR Report, Benchmarking Monthly Data, Benchmarking Weekly Data and Additional Property Level Reports
- Hotel Industry Performance Reports (Trend, HOST/Profitability, Pipeline and Destination Reports) – Introduction to Ad-Hoc Reports, Trend Reports, Development Data and HOST/Profitability Reports
There are three ways that an industry professional may obtain the CHIA certification:
- Online training and exam available through AHLEI here.
- Attend a public workshop. For information about upcoming sessions please visit our events page.
- Attend a private workshop. Arrange a private workshop for your company at a planned event or your company headquarters. To find out more, please email us.
A detailed training content outline is available upon request.
The CHIA certification is US$300 ($250 for AHLA members). The exam is 50 questions – multiple choice with a 90-minute time limit. A minimum score of 70% is needed to pass the exam. Obtaining the CHIA counts toward continuing education credits for other AHLEI certifications.
Other Certifications Available to Industry Professionals