STR: Middle East and Africa hotel performance for April 2019
Key April Takeaways:
- Cape Town performance up from weak April in 2018
- Amman demand boosted by multiple festivals
STR’s sample comprises more than 64,000 hotels and 8.7 million hotel rooms around the globe. Contact email@example.com for additional market data.
23 May 2019
LONDON—Hotels in the Middle East reported mixed April 2019 performance results, while hotels in Africa posted growth across the three key performance metrics, according to data from STR.
U.S. dollar constant currency, April 2019 vs. April 2018
- Occupancy: +4.1% to 74.6%
- Average daily rate (ADR): -7.1% to US$148.28
- Revenue per available room (RevPAR): -3.3% to US$110.62
- Occupancy: +0.8% to 62.1%
- Average daily rate (ADR): +8.1% to US$116.18
- Revenue per available room (RevPAR): +9.0% to US$72.15
Local currency, April 2019 vs. April 2018
Cape Town, South Africa
- Occupancy: +8.5% to 62.2%
- ADR: +8.2% to ZAR1,631.71
- RevPAR: +17.3% to ZAR1,014.60
STR analysts note that the strong increases were due to the year-over-year comparison with a weak April 2018, which was impacted by the water crisis in the country. Oxford Economics’ 2019 forecast for South Africa projects a 4.8% jump in overnight tourist arrivals to the country. However, the upcoming presidential elections may impact tourism arrivals in the short term.
- Occupancy: +7.7% to 72.7%
- ADR: +1.2% to JOD100.21
- RevPAR: +9.1% to JOD72.81
The occupancy and RevPAR levels were the highest for an April in Amman since 2014. Demand (+7.7%) was driven by the Amman Jazz Festival (19-23 April), the 11th Amman Contemporary Dance Festival (6-20 April) and the Brazilian Food Festival (24-27 April).
A note to editors: All references to STR data and analysis should cite “STR” as the source. Please refrain from citing “STR, Inc.” “Smith Travel Research” or “STR Global” in sourcing.
STR provides premium data benchmarking, analytics and marketplace insights for global hospitality sectors. Founded in 1985, STR maintains a presence in 15 countries with a corporate North American headquarters in Hendersonville, Tennessee, an international headquarters in London, and an Asia Pacific headquarters in Singapore. For more information, please visit str.com.