STR: Middle East and Africa hotel performance for January 2019
Key January Takeaways:
- Asia Cup helps Abu Dhabi post highest January occupancy since 2008
- Dubai performance dip continues amid supply expansion
STR’s sample comprises 63,000 hotels and 8.5 million hotel rooms around the globe. Contact email@example.com for additional market data.
26 February 2019
LONDON—Hotels in the Middle East reported negative January 2019 performance results, while hotels in Africa posted growth across the three key performance metrics, according to data from STR.
U.S. dollar constant currency, January 2019 vs. January 2018
- Occupancy: -0.9% to 68.2%
- Average daily rate (ADR): -8.9% to US$154.18
- Revenue per available room (RevPAR): -9.6% to US$105.16
- Occupancy: +0.3% to 53.4%
- Average daily rate (ADR): +2.1% to US$120.06
- Revenue per available room (RevPAR): +2.4% to US$64.06
Local currency, January 2019 vs. January 2018
- Occupancy: +1.9% to 78.0%
- ADR: +5.4% to AED449.72
- RevPAR: +7.5% to AED350.88
Even with supply growth of 11.2%, Abu Dhabi achieved its highest January occupancy since 2008. STR analysts credit a 13.4% spike in demand to the Asian Cup football championship.
- Occupancy: -5.0% to 82.0%
- ADR: -10.9% to AED716.78
- RevPAR: -15.3% to AED587.70
According to STR analysts, occupancy and rate declines are to be expected for the market with a significant amount of new inventory in the pipeline ahead of Expo 2020. As of January, Dubai showed 170 projects in construction accounting for 48,759 rooms. At the same time, demand (room nights sold) grew for the fourth consecutive month, and overall performance was solid during the first five days of the month thanks to New Year’s celebrations as well as Arabplast international trade exhibition.
A note to editors: All references to STR data and analysis should cite “STR” as the source. Please refrain from citing “STR, Inc.” “Smith Travel Research” or “STR Global” in sourcing.
STR provides premium data benchmarking, analytics and marketplace insights for global hospitality sectors. Founded in 1985, STR maintains a presence in 15 countries with a corporate North American headquarters in Hendersonville, Tennessee, an international headquarters in London, and an Asia Pacific headquarters in Singapore. For more information, please visit str.com.