The STR SHARE Center
Launched in 2011, the STR SHARE Center works with nearly 900 universities in 75 countries with hospitality and tourism programs. As STR’s effort to give back to academia, the SHARE center provides a range of data and resources to schools for research and use in the classroom. We work with academic institutions of all sizes – from small community colleges and vocational institutions to the most prestigious universities. While the SHARE Center’s focus is hotel-related information and data, we work with tourism, real estate, accounting, marketing and many other departments in schools around the world.
- To introduce the various resources available, we offer schools a complimentary trial membership so they can learn how the SHARE Center can help their program. There are different membership levels available depending on the needs of your program. There are nominal membership fees following the trial period, however, we’re always willing to work with programs facing budget challenges.
Hotel & Tourism Data
- Academic Research
- We’re always happy to help with information or data necessary to conduct research that will stand up to the academic rigor required by today’s journal publications and conference presentations. We can assist with real data that is timely so that you can address the questions and issues facing the lodging and tourism industries today.
- Student Projects
- The SHARE Center is always available to discuss and assist with student research projects. We provide hundreds of reports each month for student analysis and research, and can work with faculty to help bring projects that are both educational and interesting into the classroom.
Resources for the Classroom
- Training Programs
- Our objective is to help increase the industry relevance of hospitality and tourism education and research by providing access to reports commonly used in the hotel industry, the latest available performance data and training programs that emphasize hands-on real world exercises. The best way to prepare students for work in the hospitality and tourism industries is to give them access to the actual reports and data those professionals are using.
- There are also other training programs available that may be shared and discussed in the classroom, including Hot Topics in Hospitality and Tourism, and Worldwide Survey of the Hotel & Tourism Industry.
- Additionally, students may earn various certifications by receiving training through their professors or online. The most popular of these certifications is the Certification in Hotel Industry Analytics (CHIA). An industry recognized certification that has been obtained now by over 20,000 students, academics, and industry professionals. For those looking for a challenge and to further set themselves apart, there is the Certification in Advanced Hospitality & Tourism Analytics (CAHTA). And for programs with limited time and resources, there is the Hotel Industry Foundations and Introduction to Analytics (HIFIA). Other certifications, including a Student Certification in Revenue Management, are under development. Professors/instructors can learn how to offer training for these certifications by attending an in-person workshop or by going through an online training program. We encourage you to visit these certification pages on our website for a full description and further details.
- Each year we conduct student competitions around the world that are both enjoyable and educational. One that is popular and looked forward to every year is the STR Student Market Study Competition. In this competition, students receive training on How to Conduct a Market Study from their professors. Teams select a city/market anywhere in the world and are provided with a set of data and reports, then work together as a team to analyze that data and put together a presentation. Then, in a professional manner, teams deliver their findings to a panel of senior-level hospitality and tourism industry judges. Plaques and cash prizes are awarded to the top teams. It is an overwhelmingly positive experience for the students and the professors that advise them. Participation in the competition can give students the experience and confidence they need to propel them ahead of their peers. Please reach out to the email below to let us know if you would like further details about upcoming competitions.
Connecting with the hospitality industry
- One of our goals is to promote research and help bridge the gap between academia and the industry. We regularly make efforts to include members of the industry in academic settings and vice versa. Professors and graduate students that have conducted research that is both timely and would be of interest to the hospitality and tourism industry are invited to submit a summary or synopsis of their research and findings. Many are then asked to write an article that will be posted on Hotel News Now, STR’s affiliated news site, for thousands of professionals to read.
We want to emphasize that we are here to assist you, your students and your colleagues in the academic community. If you are not involved, we encourage you to reach out to find out more by emailing us to arrange a call or webinar.